This American Life yet another awesome episode.

If you have never listened to an Episode of The American Life you have really missed out on one of the best Radio Programs EVER. This weeks episode, which can be found at www.ThisAmericanLife.com, is on True Urban Myths.

It starts with a prologue about rats found in toilets in my beautiful city Portland, Or. No longer will I go to the bathroom in the middle of the night without turning on the light; better to know than to be surprised. Then the story moves onto three acts on the core subject.

Act 1: What’s that smell? highlights a book written by Steve Poizner. Poizner is running for Governor of California and his book focuses on his experience teaching at a high school in Northern California. The myth is regarding his view on the city and the school in which he taught. Like the other acts, this act doesn’t give you a definitive answer on whether the myth is true, but it does get you thinking about the status of our schools.

Act 2: Fleeing is believing. I wish this act were a little longer. It focuses on refugees from other countries and their myths, which really aren’t myths, about the United States. One part that really struck me is the disbelief of Iraqis that the U.S. has homeless living on the streets. Not because of the homeless, but because we do not take better care of our families.  They are right, we should take better care of our people.

Act 3: Sleeper Cell. Do cell phones cause brain damage? There are a lot of studies out there. Some say cell phones are harmful, others say they are safe. This act points out that 75% of the studies that do not receive any funding from phone companies say phones cause tumors, and brain damage among other problems. On the other hand, only 25% of the studies that do receive funding from phone companies say cell phones have a harmful effect on our brains. Now who do you believe?

Check it out and tell me what you think.

Advertisements

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: